The Niners totally dominated the Raiders on prime time Thursday Night Football to the tune of 34-3. The real question is if the Niners actually found their stride or are the Raiders indeed the worst team in the NFL thus masking the Niner effort? They play an equally bad team next Monday night when they host Eli Manning and the NY Giants. If the Niners win that game, then a bit more will be learned but not much more. After all, the only two wins that a bad Arizona Cardinal team has this year are against the Niners.
This is a lost year much like last year was so it was refreshing to see Shanahan turn to an untested Nick Mullens at QB. He had a brilliant first game with 3 TD’s, zero turnovers, 16-22 passes completed for 262 yards earning him a whopping 151.9 QB rating. This ranks as one of the top four performances in NFL history for a QB in his first starting role. Nick received a call from Brett Favre during the post-game interview as Mullens and Favre both went to Southern Miss. Turns out that Mullens shattered all of Favre’s passing records there.
The big question that will dominate this week’s Niner media coverage is whether Shanahan will stick with Mullens for the NY Giants game even if Beathard’s wrist is healed and he is cleared to play. It is a mini QB controversy as we all know that Jimmy Garopollo will be back to start next year. Having said that, it will be telling to Niner fans on what direction Shanahan will take for the remainder of this year. The overwhelming fan sentiment will be that Mullens should continue to start due to his stellar performance. Beathard has a history of turnovers and being sacked as he hangs onto the ball way too long waiting for receivers to get open. Mullens showed last night that he can make quick decisions and get the ball out accurately before the receivers make their final break. So, will Shanahan stick with the hot hand or be loyal to Beathard? My recommendation is for Shanahan to have this discussion with Steve Kerr and get his thoughts on this topic.
Last night was really fun for a change. Let’s find out if Nick Mullens can finish out the remainder of this season much like Garopollo finished last year with five consecutive wins.
- Before the start of last night’s game there was Breaking News… The Niners traded their Len Eshmont candidate to the Raiders as a salary dump (pun intended). Yes, Toi Lett Bowle the Turd (III), is now a Raider so he can be united with his twin brother, Turd. The Raiders now have exclusive rights to all Turds.
- The leading candidate to win the Len Eshmont award now belongs to George “Gronk” Kittle. He had 4 receptions last night on 4 targets for 108 yards with a 71 yard 1-handed catch and run that must be seen to be believed… WOW !!!
- The Niner defense came alive last night and sacked Derek Carr 8 times. They did this with the following starters out with injuries: Reuben Foster, Adrian Colbert, Jaquiski Tartt, and Antone Exum.
- The Kittle catch was the play of the night but the next best play was Raheem Mostert’s 52 yard TD run. Raheem’s speed to the sideline was impressive but the guy who made the play special was rookie 1st round Tackle, Mike McGlinchy, who was a 1-man convoy leading Mostert all the way into the End Zone. Yes, a 6’8” 315 lb mountain of a man was the lead blocker 50 yards from the line of scrimmage… AMAZING !!!
- On a down note, Mostert broke his arm late in the game and will be lost for the remainder of the year.