Over the last 3-4 years, the Seahawks physically dominated the Niners and the games were lost before they started. Last Sunday, the game was a dog fight and the Niners equaled the Hawks in the trenches. On defense, the CB’s and Safeties had their best game in years. They held the Seahawks to 12 points and actually held the lead (9-6) in the 4th quarter.
The difference in the game was that the Seahawks have Russell Wilson and the Niners have Brian Hoyer. Wilson took over as he usually does when the game matters and converted 3 key 3rd downs to keep the drive alive allowing them to take and maintain the lead for a 12-6 victory.
The Niners defense showed up and played one hell of a game. But, they were on the field for way too many snaps due to the Niner offense being ineffective. They were worn out allowing the Seahawks to run out the clock at the end of the game. The offense continued to struggle although they did upgrade their left guard position as Laken Tomlinson held his own against the vaunted Seahawks front seven. They also improved their run game as Carlos Hyde had a terrific game with 124 yards on 15 carries.
On the Niners best drive of the day, Marquis Goodwin dropped yet another key first down pass inside the Seahawks 10 yard line. It wiped out the possibility of the Niners going up by 7 points instead of by 3 in the 4th quarter. Although the Niner WR’s are much improved over last year, Garcon is their #1 receiver while Goodwin is #2. In looking around the league and comparing WR’s, Garcon to me is a #2 receiver. The Niners do not have a bona fide #1 WR. To improve this group, they really do need an impact WR with Garcon being the #2 receiver. An effective passing game is what separates great teams from also-ran teams in the NFL. While the Niners search for their QB of the future and an impact WR, it would be wise for Shanahan to give Trent Taylor, Aldrick Robinson, Victor Bolden, and Kendrick Bourne more snaps to develop their skills in game situations.
There are no moral victories in football. The Niners lost and dropped to 0-2.
The big question in front of them lie in their next three games (Rams at home, Cardinals at AZ, and the Colts at Indy). I am fully expecting the Niners record to be 3-2 after week 5. Winning 2 of 3 will also be acceptable. Going worse than that will mean that the Niners have not improved their roster much and Niner fans are in for another disastrous season.
Shanahan must step up his game.
Around the league:
- Did Zeke Elliott start serving his suspension? He didn’t show up against the Broncos.
- The LA Charger’s field goal kicker (Younghoe Koo) missed a short game winning field goal against the Dolphins. He also missed a game tieing field goal against the Broncos in week 1. Koo is not cool.
- The LA Chargers and LA Rams combined had less fan attendance than the USC Trojans vs Texas game. LA is a college football town (USC and UCLA), not an NFL town… Great job Goodell.
- The LA Chargers stadium has a max attendance of 27,000. Maybe the 49ers should play their home games at San Jose State’s stadium. They can then almost sell out games.
- Why isn’t Kaepernick playing instead of Flake Fortles (Jags), Jacoby Brissett (Dolts), Deshaun Watson (Texans), Mike Glennon (Bears), Andy Dalton (Bengals), Case Keenum (Vikings), or Josh McCown (Jets)? I’m not a Kaep fan but he is better than these guys.
- Speaking of Mike Glennon, why did the Bears pay a back-up QB for Tampa Bay so much money, then draft Mitch Trubisky at #2? When will they replace Glennon with Trubisky? Glennon knows the Tampa Bay defense so well as he practiced against them every day for 2 years, he threw 2 interceptions and lost 1 fumble against them. I guess it was a thank you gesture.
- Matthew Stafford and the Lions showed “Eli’s Goin'” (no longer “Comin'”) and Slow-dell Beckham how the game should be played. Did Slow-dell and Brandon Marshall go down to Miami for another boat trip during Irma to practice catching balls in windy conditions? If they did, it didn’t work, again… Problem was they played in perfectly windless conditions so they dropped balls. Slow-dell said that he should be the highest paid player in the league. I agree… in the Canadian Football league or Arena league… You are more show than production… As good as you make yourself to be, I’m glad you’re not on the Niner’s roster. ShanaLynch is changing the culture and building Team Chemistry. At least there is no “I” on the Niner’s “TEAM”…C’mon Man !!!
- Next year, if Andy Reid screws Alex Smith by starting Patrick Mahomes (like Jim Harbaugh screwed him by replacing him with Kaep), wouldn’t it be nice to see Alex back with the Niners? I’m convinced that the Niners would have had their 6th SB trophy if Alex was the QB against the Ravens.