Note: Names in Bold are new players to the team.
QB (2): Starter: Brian Hoyer, Backup: C.J. Beathard (Cut Matt Barkley)
RB (4): Starter: Carlos Hyde, Backups: Raheem Mostert, Joe Williams, Matt Breida (Cut Tim Hightower… Mostert is not only a better RB, he is also valuable on the Special Teams).
FB (1): Starter: Kyle Juszczyk
WR (6): Starters: Pierre Garçon, Marquise Goodwin, Backups: Victor Bolden, Aldrick Robinson, Trent Taylor, Kendrick Bourne (Trade Jeremy Kerley for a Corner Back or draft pick… possibly to the Patriots who lost Edelman… Bolden is better at returning punts/kickoffs)
TE (3): Starter: George Kittle, Backups: Logan Paulsen, Garrett Celek (Trade Vance McDonald for a Guard or draft pick… If no trade, keep him and cut Celek).
OT (4): Starters: Joe Staley, Trent Brown, Backup: Garry Gilliam, John Theus
OG (4): Starters: Zane Beadles, Brandon Fusco, Backups: Joshua Garnett, Erik Magnuson
C (2): Starter: Daniel Kilgore, Backup: Tim Barnes
DT (5): Starters: DeForest Buckner, Earl Mitchell, Backups: D.J. Jones, Chris Jones, Quinton Dial (Trade Quinton Dial for a Guard or draft pick… If no trade, keep him).
DE (4): Starters: Arik Armstead, Solomon Thomas, Backups: Elvis Dumervil, Aaron Lynch (Trade Tank Carradine for a draft pick or cut him).
OLB (2): Starter: Eli Harold, Backup: Dekoda Watson
MLB (4): Starters: NaVorro Bowman, Reuben Foster, Backups: Ray Ray Armstrong Brock Coyle
CB (5): Starters: Rashard Robinson, Dontae Johnson Backups: Keith Reaser, Ahkello Witherspoon, K’Waun Williams (Disappointed with Witherspoon. If Niners can trade for a CB, then move Witherspoon to the practice squad).
S (4): Starters: Jaquiski Tartt, Eric Reid, Backups: Jimmy Ward, Lorenzo Jerome
K (1): Robbie Gould
P (1): Bradley Pinion
LS (1): Kyle Nelson
Project 30 new players for 2017, keeping 23 players from a 2016 2-14 team.
Also project a 6-10 season… moving in the right direction.
- QB is much improved from last year. Hoyer is very Alex Smith-like which is not necessarily a bad thing. It is still not a position of strength but still better than last year.
- RB’s are very much improved from last year.
- WR’s are now a position of strength. From worst to a top 15 group.
- OT’s are a position of strength.
- OG’s are a weakness that must be improved in the next 2 years.
- C is average and should be improved in next 2 years.
- D-line is a bit better than average and much improved from last year.
- LB’s are better than average and way better than last year.
- CB’s are weak and must be improved in the next 2 years. Baalke invested so many damaged goods at this position over his administration, it’ll take a complete make-over.
- Eric Reid at Strong safety seems to be thriving under Robert Saleh’s defensive scheme. Jaquiski Tartt may develop as Free Safety but too early to tell. Jimmy Ward is always hurt… another Baalke damaged good pick.